Wednesday, December 21, 2011

a how-to.



this is always the time of year that i start to feel very... domestic. now, don't get me wrong, i live to be paula deen and i have had my own subscription to southern living magazine since i was 9, but the holidays seem to kick my inner 'susie homemaker' into beast mode. perhaps it's all the baking, christmas tree decorating, table setting and wine drinking.

which brings us to wrapping gifts. somewhere around the wise old age of 16, i made a list of skills every 'good woman' should possess. being able to make a beautiful bow was a skill on that list, baking a pie was another; there are 17 in all. you can judge me if you like... but, i like pretty things. and i like makin' 'em. besides, it would be very difficult for me to maintain my status as a founding member of the columbus jr. league (which technically doesn't exist yet) if i didn't know how to make a bow. so every december i pull out my bow making supplies.... and every december i curse my stupid 'good woman' ideals.

bow-making is hard! i can say that because in high school, i took floral design. that's all you do in that class.. make bows and hot glue stuff. and now that i really think about, that is just about the time my 'good woman' list was created... way.to.go.agriculture.education! today was day one of present wrapping, and as of today i've made two bows.. two-in-a-day! needless to say, if you don't get a gift with a bow on it... it's because i'm baking you a pie.

things i wish i knew yesterday:
1. people don't care if the bow on top is crappy; they care if the gift inside is crappy.
2. i've gotta focus on the skills at which i excel: making chicken fried steak, tying a tie, setting a table.
3. i did not get an 'a' in floral design.
4. sample bows will be required with jr. league applications.

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I have missed your blogging MUCHO much!! Much like Heinz ketchup, it was worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you come over to teach me CFS and pie, I will teach you gift wrap extraordinaire. I just finished wrapping and bow-ing no less than a meeelion gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love your blogs, I'll be sending in my application!

    ReplyDelete